Everything we have said so far makes the idea of how we perceive only a small part of the mattress we sleep on quite well, often more out of habit than anything else. So understanding how long a mattress that we use often from a superficial exam lasts is practically impossible.
There is so many information on our site, visit now and learn about different beds on Sleep Junkie.
Certainly, if back and neck pains are felt more often; or if we are sure we have had the mattress for too long, we must replace it as soon as possible.
However, as many other times, we have said, there are countless types of mattresses on the market, each of which has a predetermined average duration which depends on the material of the internal slab and the quality of the product. Let’s see how long a mattress lasts on average depending on the material:
1. Futon mattress, the traditional Japanese mattress (read the complete article here), can last from 4 to 5 years, before starting to lose its characteristics.
2. Spring mattresses, on average, any type of spring mattress can last from 6 to 8 years; after which the springs begin to lose rigidity or rust.
3. Orthopedic spring mattress to the detriment of the widespread opinion that sees it as “eternal mattress”; its useful life is just over 8 years.
4. Memory foam mattress, considered by experts to be the best article on the market, both in terms of quality and price, they are very valid and have a useful life of 8-10 years, which however can increase or decrease a lot depending on the quality of the product.
5. Latex mattress, traditional elite mattress, made with latex, has a duration of 8 years before the polymers break down.
6. Water mattress, born in antiquity on average it is a fairly long-lived product, its useful life is 9 years.
7. Air mattress, invented in the first half of the 19th century; we have already dealt with this product, whose duration varies greatly depending on use and quality, ranging from 5 to 10 years.